Pinterest is a new platform for sharing pictures among your friends. It is a fun, new, and innovative way to share pictures, videos, recipes, and other interests with your friends or strangers. The social network has been a hot topic in the news lately, so I put together a tutorial for new users.
Pinterest users, according to Mediabistro.com, “spend an average of 1 hour and 17 minutes on the site, well ahead of Twitter (36 minutes), Linkedln (17 minutes) and Google + (6 minutes).” Pinterest is gaining a lot of attention and its user base is growing, even though it is primarily skewed female. Still, it’s a great way to share your favorite pictures or recipes but also a great way to explore other interests. For all of those who are new to Pinterest, here is a simple guide on how to get started.
How to Get Started
1) The only way to get a Pinterest account is by being invited by a friend who already has an account or by asking for an invitation from Pinterest.
2) Once your account is set up, you can login through Facebook or Twitter.
How to Create a Board
Your boards are how you organize your pictures.
1) To create a board you must select your icon and click on “Boards.”
2) Then you must select “Add+” and click “Create a Board.”
3) Here, you will be able to choose your board’s name and what category it belongs to. You can select who can post to your board: “Just Me” only allows you to post pictures and “Me + Contributors” lets you and your friends post on the same Board.
How to Create a Pin
Pins are the pictures you post on your Boards.
1) To create a pin, you must have the Pinterest bookmark for your web browser. When you find an image you like, you can click “Pin It” from your bookmarks bar to post the picture.
2) Once you have clicked “Pin It,” select which Board you’d like to post it to and add a description of the image.
Comment, Like, Repin, Follow
1) If you enjoy someone else’s picture you have the option to “Like” their picture or comment on it.
2) Repinning a picture is another way for you to show your friends something you found from another user.
3) If someone’s pictures are to your liking, you can “Follow” to see their new pins.
Now, you can easily show off your favorite images with your friends. Not only is this a fantastic way to share interests with others but it is also a great way for companies to spotlight their products and the ideas that inspire them. Companies such as Volkswagen are able to display their products which allows viewers to comment and like their favorites. Fashion companies such as Gap have the opportunity to showcase their clothing. Pinterest provides brands a platform to market themselves and engage with their followers.